Ruckus Scooter Love

Ruckus Scooter Love
Scootin' For A Slower Pace of Life...

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Thinking about a riding club in this area of...

I say "riding club" because I am including scooters and motorcycles in this consideration. That also includes Can-Ams and trikes. I am writing about southern Ohio, a rural, Appalachian culture where the ATV is King and dirt bikes and motorcycles rank afterward.

A scooter doesn't even get a mention, except in a few of the major cities where there are scooter shops or Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki powersports dealers selling some scooters among the (you guessed it) motorcycles and ATVs.

I'd like to see that change-at least out here in my area. I'd like to start a "riding group" for scooters and motorcycles of all sizes and types. Adults only, speeds ranging from 35-55mph on the routes. No hurry.

This would be an informal group that would meet up at designated locations and do a day ride on a mapped out route that included places of natural beauty, historical significance, or a lunch or supper at an inn or restaurant or dairy bar along the way.

Just a fun, meandering, "stop and smell the roses" kind of ride. Maybe even some over-nighters at a B & B could evolve if there is enough interest.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it a "club". Just a gathering of like-minded riders. I'd advertise it on the local scooter forum and on a few national forums that feature regional listings of rides.

Hopefully we could do this once a month in the riding season, April through October.

This could lead to weekly rides depending on location and mix of riders in an area easily available to those interested.

Right now I ride alone and know no one else who rides a scooter, or a motorcycle, in my area. I've seen a few on the road from time to time, but organized rides could help bring people together who would love to ride with others on a regular basis.

I don't want to limit it to scooters, however, because I have run into a few women motorcycle riders who are looking for a group of like-minded women to ride with who are not interested in breaking speed or distance records but are just interested in a social ride to fun and interesting places at a leisurely place. I'm sure there are men who are looking for this type of ride experience with others as well.

Out here in my area of I know of nothing like this existing. I think it would be a blast. Whether it would "take off" I do not know. But I'd like to try it once I get my bigger scoot where I can actually do some rides like this.

I already have some interest expressed in this concept through the local city-scooter forum board. I think people are looking for something like this where they can hang out with other bikers and enjoy the comradery.

Food and ice cream must also be in the mix! No alcohol! Helmets and safety gear encouraged. (Ohio is a no helmet required state...duh duh duh dumb!)

I've got some routes in mind and once I get my scoot I want to do some planning for an outing and issue an invitation. Hopefully by then we will have consistently warmer and drier weather as well.

Who knows? Maybe a "club name" will emerge and we'll all be decked out in logos and letters signifying our comradery!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome Deb! I would ride with you if I lived closer! This sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be cool! I am toying with the idea of making it a "girl's club" as there are no womens' motorcycling groups around here that I know of. I have had several women motorcyclists say to me that they would like to see a womens' group form for riding because many guys want to go fast and do the macho competition thing. I am looking to start a group that is more focused on the experience of the ride itself, the sights, the slow pace, the process. I don't want to exclude guys, really, but once in the mix they tend to set the tone of the pace if they become a majority. Do you think this is a legitimate concern or am I off base here?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb:

    there is a female motorcycle group here where they let the guys "follow" on some rides. Other rides are female only and rides are not posted so only the riders know where to meet and where the destination is

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast
    My Flickr // My YouTube

    ReplyDelete