Ruckus Scooter Love

Ruckus Scooter Love
Scootin' For A Slower Pace of Life...

Monday, May 21, 2012

Sunday ride to the one-room school house...

Page One-Room School House, 1827-1941


Sunday was sunny, clear blue skies and temps in the 80s. What a day for riding! And everyone else in the county thought so too! Whoopee!

So I headed out down some backroads toward the Page One-Room School House. This school opened in 1827 and closed it's doors in 1941. Since then it has been purchased and preserved by the county retired teachers association.

They open it up from time to time and host re-enactments of a typical day in a one-room school house of the 19th and early 20th century. My neighbor is a retired teacher and she dresses up in period costume and gets into all of that. She really enjoys it!

Anyway, part of my ride out entailed my riding on a two lane road with a posted speed limit of 55 mph. Of course I was not going that fast and everyone else was going around 70 mph. (I have driven this road in my car and been almost run off the road when I was doing 60 mph!) Needless to say, this part of the ride was not fun and I found myself riding in the break down lane in order to play it safe.

The rest of the time was gently curving, quiet country roads covering farm land and winding through shady curves and deep green foliage. It was a pretty ride and the scooter did not hesitate on any of the hills.

I went about 25 miles and it was comfortable over distance. It does hit 35-40 mph pretty quickly, then seems to slug off. To push it to 53 mph, it's supposed top speed, would have been a force and I was mindful of the break-in period so did not go there.

I am on bigger wheels than on the Ruckus (12/10" vs 8/8") but I feel less stable. The wind really catches this scoot like a sail too. I felt a bit wobbly riding at higher speeds and avoiding the windy rebuffs of the cagers as they flew by. Never saw so many cars along this main road!

Motorcycles passed me and I got "the wave". No one had any safety gear on, not even helmets. I am talking about 20+ motorcycle sightings. No scooters sighted, as usual. Again, I was the geek riding in the break-down lane like on the Ruckus. It was either that or become a hood ornament on a pick-up truck! I'll take the break down lane anyday...

So far I like the fit, comfort, and power boost of the bigger scooter over the Ruckus. I am not a fan of the "tupperware" and it's occasional vibrations. I also have some rear brake squeal and that needs to "shush up" right now!

We'll see what's next...

6 comments:

  1. Deb - it sound like you had a great ride today! Don't worry about feeling wobbly on her, you two are just getting acquainted and in no time at all you won't even notice these types of things. You may be breaking in the new scooter, but you are both breaking yourselves in as well, you will be falling head over heels for her soon enough. I look forward to hearing and seeing more of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dar-
      Hey, thanks for the encouraging words! I do really, really like this scooter! It is SO comfortable to ride on for longer distances. Kinda "plush" feeling!

      What is the update on Miss Scarlet?

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a great day for a ride. Nothing wrong with the breakdown lane if it keeps you safer.

    Hard for me to imagine all those motorcycle riders without helmets. I have gone across a parking lot to re-park my bike without a helmet on but never on the road.

    I am glad you are enjoying your new scooter. Think of all of the wonderful adventures to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohio is a "no helmet law" state, which I think is really dum-de-dum-dum.

      I think if 100 riders rode by, maybe 10 might be wearing helmets!

      Delete
  3. She is still sick, but I think we know what is wrong with her, it is the CDI unit, but here in the problem lies trying to find the 'black box' . We may have to get the part fron Australia, apparently a company there makes them. So I am riding my hubs 750, but am going to insure Vixen I think. Hopefully we will get her up & running soon, I miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Dar. Stick to the breakdown lane if you must to get acquainted and break your ride in. You obviously have more brains than the helmet-less bikers. Gld you got out to enjoy the weather on Sunday. I hope it was as fabulous over there as it was on this side of the ridge!

    ReplyDelete