Ruckus Scooter Love

Ruckus Scooter Love
Scootin' For A Slower Pace of Life...

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Where Have I Been?


It has been a long time since my last post. Almost all summer, in fact. I thought I'd post an update as to what I have been doing.

Not much! There, how's that?

There is a bit more, but not much other than mundane daily life stuff.

Since I retired in April I have been mostly relaxing and enjoying each day. We now are not struggling so much financially and that has brought peace and rest. We now know where our next meal is coming from, as they say.

I have become a full-time caregiver for my other half. She is doing well, though has had some setbacks here and there with mysterious infections that twice landed her in the hospital. She is continuing working on the goal of walking again, though we have learned that the process of stroke recovery is way slower than we would have ever anticipated.

I remain optimistic that she will at least be able to maintain a good quality of life, even with mobility limitations.

Recovering from long-term under-employment has also been a challenge. We continue to try to manage our budget to cover medical bills and household bills. I am not available to work outside the home due to my care giving role,so I am trying to do some flipping of antiques and collectibles, among other items, on Craigslist and Ebay.

This gets me out for a few hours to thrift stores and yard sales, and that is fun. I would love to have some sort of education as to the value and identity of things I see. Pawn Stars and American Pickers remain my mentors.

I still have, and ride daily, my blue Yamaha C3, "Blue Breeze", courtesy of a mysterious and lovingly appreciated fellow moto blogger. She has become my main source of transportation to the grocery as now our 19 year old Honda CRV has drawn it's last breath.

We will have to wait until next year for a car because they don't offer car loans to "old folks" on Social Security only! LOL I am just glad we continued living here at the "Cottage By the Mall". It is so convenient to everything and I can scoot walk or ride the bicycle to the grocery stores nearby.

Maxi, the little white doggie that you see in my scooter photos, turned 16 this year. She is struggling daily, but still enjoying a quality of life, though she is way slower and sadly, not very active anymore. She is now blind and deaf and her days of long walks and posing on scooters is over. But she loves her mommas and her next meal, so has moments of doggie bliss in spite of age.

We try to make her life as pleasant as possible because we know that she could cross over to the Rainbow Bridge any day now. I can't even think about it. I just take it one day at a time and love her as best as I can each day.


I will try to get out and post some ride pics and some pics of my scooter and her "sticker gallery" and other jazzy upgrades. Autumn is coming and that is prime scooting and anything outdoors time for me. I miss rides with my camera. Gotta get on it.

I still aspire to a big scooter mate next year for BB, if the money comes. I am focusing on a used Honda PCX as my main fast ride. I've settled on the white color. I don't care what year it is, I just need to be able get WAY out in the country on it as we've decided to live here in the burbs for awhile more.

I still yearn for those far out back roads. I am even considering changing my blog name to reflect that: "Back Road Scooter Love".

What do you think?

Anyway, it's nice to dream about things like this and maybe it will work out when it is supposed to.

It keeps me going, like all things scooter related. Times get rough, there's always a scooter ride! Right?


Anyway, hope all of you are enjoying your summer and ride safe and ALWAYS respect the gravel!

Maxi on my 2009 Met...long gone scooter, senior citizen rider.


11 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update. It is good to hear that things are going relatively well and your partner is recovering even if it is slower than anticipated. A positive attitude can go a long way. Hugs from Oregon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so kind. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Old dogs never get easier.LIved a long time means nothing at he end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update. Glad you're still riding as much as you are. That's my plan for retirement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as I can balance the thing, think clearly, and see I hope to be tooting around to the grocery or out into the rural areas.

      Delete
  5. Cannot say I did much with my summer either!
    Gregg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just enjoyed relaxing and doing very little.

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry I missed this! I hope all is well for you and your love Deb. Having dealt with someone that suffered a stroke, all I can tell you is "one day at at time" and keep those goals in mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement. It means a lot!

      Delete
  7. Glad to see things have settled and you're still scooting. I seem to have fallen off the blog wagon myself.

    ReplyDelete