Ruckus Scooter Love

Ruckus Scooter Love
Scootin' For A Slower Pace of Life...

Friday, January 1, 2016

When It Rains....



On December 20th, Sunday, my life partner of 25 years was taken to the hospital by the life squad. She is still there.

My emotions are too raw and my body to exhausted to go into detail, but basically what it comes down to is that she has suffered what are called "evolving strokes" in the past 2 weeks.

Her mind is clear, she can speak, but she has lost the use of her left arm as of last Friday. She can move her legs but is too weak to stand for more than a minute.

She is beyond exhausted, but her spirit is amazingly strong.

The doctors and therapists are hopeful for a full recovery and have been very encouraging.

We are in the process of getting her into the best stroke rehab program in the area. She may go today if a bed opens up. Now we are just waiting on that.

My prayer is that she will eventually be able to come home and continue to get her therapy here through home health care and proceed to full recovery.

Please keep her in your prayers. Her name is Martha and she is only 66 years old.































14 comments:

  1. Oh, Deb. I am so very sorry. And I do hope for the best outcome. Hold steady. Thoughts of love coming your way from my way.

    You might want to read My Stroke of Insight. Written by a brain scientist after she experienced her own stroke. The insight and suggestions on how to care for someone who has suffered a stroke is immensely valuable. Things even doctors don't know because it's written by someone who suffered a stroke and recovered completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha-
      Thank you for your kind words. I will definitely pick up that book!

      We are hoping for a full recovery too.

      Delete
  2. Big hugs coming your way. Thinking good thoughts for a quick recovery for Martha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. She is in Day 5 at the stroke rehab hospital and the road for recovery stretches out in front, looking like months, maybe more. I am hopeful as that is all I can be at this point.

      Delete
  3. Deb, you and Martha have my prayers. I hope and pray she makes a full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dar. She is being pushed physically in this program like she has never experienced before. I take it day by day, sometimes hour by hour...

      Delete
  4. Deb, both you and Martha have whatever support and love I can give you. Having had a loved one suffer from a stroke I know what a long recovery you and Martha have in front of you. The good news is recovery is possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Robert. Well then you know that nothing is certain. To go from being independent to now not being able to use one of your arms, stand, or use your legs is beyond horrific. I try to keep my emotions in check for her and be strong. But it is oh so hard to do...

      Delete
  5. So sorry to hear. I wish you and Martha the best in recovery and health.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb, my deepest wishes for Martha's full recovery. You both are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prayers are direly needed to pull off a full recovery. She was never an "active" person, shunning walks or any type of physical exertion, which probably set a lot of this up in the first place. Now she is being asked to do "Herculean" activities to get the muscles moving. She has the will to do it because all she wants to do is come home...

      Delete
  7. Deb, you and Martha are also in my thoughts as I hope she sees a full recovery, it sounds like the signs are good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I am always looking for the positive signs, the indicators that she has the capacity for recovery. Let's hope....

      Delete